San Wai is also known as Kun Lung Wai because of the characters "Kun Lung" engraved on the lintel of the entrance. The walled village, which dates back to 1744, is enclosed by green-brick walls. Four watchtowers were constructed at the four corners of the enclosing walls for defence of the village. A pair of chained-ring iron gates were installed at the front entrance. The moat, which originally surrounded the walled village, has been filled up. The layout of the houses inside the village is in an orderly manner with a communal altar situated at the end of the main alley. Unfortunately most of the old houses inside the walled village have been replaced by new buildings. The tower over the gate, and the walls with the watchtowers were declared monuments in 1988 and 1993 respectively, and were fully restored in 1994 and 1995.
(Floor Plan is for reference only.)
Please visit the AMO website
for transport and related information on the historic building / site. For further information on the historic building / site, please visit the Geographical Information System on Hong Kong Heritage
and Hong Kong Traditional Chinese Architectural Information System