Situated on Kau Sai Chau (Island), Sai Kung, Hung Shing Temple is a typical example of a rural temple. The temple was constructed as a result of donations from local residents whose livelihood relied mainly on fishing. Hung Shing was a protective deity of the sea. According to local legends and the stone tablet at the temple, the building was built before 1899. Being a district temple of Kau Sai Chau, it has long been a place in which to pray for the safety of fishermen and has the social function of strengthening the coherence of the community. Large scale celebrations are held by the locals for the birthday of Hung Shing every year.
Hung Shing Temple is a two-hall, three-bay structure with a dong-chung door in the front hall. Altars are placed in the main hall where Hung Shing, Choi Pak Shing Kwan and Shui Sin Yeuh are worshipped.
A recent project sponsored by the Hong Kong Jockey Club, restored the building to its original design and this was supervised by the Antiquities and Monuments Office and completed in 2000. With the full support and active participation of the local villagers, the restoration project was awarded an "Outstanding Project" in the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage 2000 Awards.
(Floor Plan is for reference only.)
Please visit the AMO website
for transport and related information on the historic building / site. For further information on the historic building / site, please visit the Geographical Information System on Hong Kong Heritage