At the end of the 19th century, bacteriological studies in Hong Kong were still underdeveloped. It was not until 1905 that a permanent Bacteriological Institute was constructed at Caine Lane. This elegant red-brick building was renamed the Pathological Institute after World War II and was later occupied by the Department of Health as a medical store. It has been recently converted to the Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences managed by the Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences Society.
(Floor Plan is for reference only.)
Please visit the AMO website
for transport and related information on the historic building / site. For further information on the historic building / site, please visit the Geographical Information System on Hong Kong Heritage